What's the difference?

Friday, January 22, 2010


One thing I've learned about my parents and parent-in-laws is that they love to give advice. Sometimes it's money advice, parenting advice, cooking advice, employment advice. Sometimes their advice is really helpful, and other times it can be totally "old school". Like the time they told me to rub a face cloth on my boobs to toughen then up (I didn't listen, thank goodness) However, one piece of advice that I totally agree with is to write down all the cute stuff about your kids. They say even if you think you won't forget, you will. So today as I was taking a nap with Joseph, I thought it would be a good idea to write down all the differences between Rosie and Joseph as babies.

Rosie
weighed 7 pounds 11 ounces at birth
Joseph
weighed 9 pounds 9 ounces at birth
Rosie

First word was "Mama"
Joseph
First word was "Dada"
Rosie
Loved it when we gave her Tylenol, teething tablets, or gripe water. She's smile and lick her lips.
Joseph
Gagged and even threw up when given Tylenol, teething tablets, and we didn't bother giving him gripe water.
Rosie
Breastfed for an hour at least, but after she would sleep for 2-3 hours. Sometimes when we went to church I'd spend 2 out of the 3 hours in the mother's lounge feeding her.
Joseph
Breastfed for 5-10 minutes at a time, but would be hungry half an hour later or sometimes sooner. One night he nursed for SIX hours straight... well with tiny 5 minute breaks here and there. How he did it is beyond me.
Rosie
She only laughed if something was really funny. It was hard to catch her laughing on film. Even when she thought something was funny, she get tired of it fast. We had to constantly come up with new material.
Joseph
He'll laugh if you're laughing. He thinks everything is funny.
Rosie
Very focused on the task at hand. For example, when she was nursing she would sit there and feed until she was done.
Joseph Easily distracted. If someone even sneezes while he's nursing, he'll turn his head to see. Sometimes I find myself saying "Joseph, pay attention! Finish your milk, Mommy is leaking all over!"
Rosie
Loved it when we read books to her. She'd sit there very focused and listening intently.
Joseph
He's more interested in grabbing the book and he tries to eat it.
Rosie
She's cuddly only when the mood strikes her or if she's really tired. When the mood does strike, she's so lovable.
Joseph
We call him lover boy because he's always in the mood for hugs and affection. He's always grabbing my face or resting his head on my shoulder.
Rosie
The new baby smell lasted for a really long time on her. It was so wonderful. Some of her old baby clothing still smells like it.
Joseph
I don't remember him ever having the new baby smell. Actually, his umbilical cord smelt like a dead animal for weeks and he would get stinky spots under his rolls haa haa.
Rosie
Liked sucking on my pinky finger when she was fussy. She could sit there for almost an hour sucking on it until she either fell asleep, or realized there wasn't any milk coming out and ask for the real thing
Joseph
Gagged when I tried to give him my pinky finger. He knew it wasn't the real thing I guess.

There's probably a lot more, but I can't think of them at the moment. I'll discuss with Dave tonight and post more later!

Me Ka Aloha
- Elisabeth

0 comments: