It's Potty Time!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The other night I was reading Rosie a story about a little girl who learned how to use the potty and after the book was done Rosie said "I want to sit on the potty." I thought, wow this is great! She's asking me if she can sit on the potty, maybe potty training will be easy for us! We went into the bathroom and she sat on her Dora potty, and sat and sat and sat. We read books and sang songs and nothing happened at all for about 45 minutes. I asked her if she wanted a drink of "red juice" (Gatorade) and in the 10 seconds I was away getting it, she peed on the floor!!! I know right! What terrible timing! Well, I let her have some Gatorade any how and I figured that if she drank it, she'd be ready to pee in about 20 minutes. Dave came home and I asked him to help her go to the potty. They sat there for about 30 seconds and then Dave let her off the potty (men seriously don't understand) and about 10 seconds later, she was peeing on the floor AGAIN! About an hour and a half had passed since the first time Rosie told me she wanted to sit on the potty and she peed on the floor twice!! I was pretty frustrated but I guess it wasn't meant to happen that night.

The next day Rosie wanted to wear her red princess dress, which is seriously cute by the way. I helped her put it on and she said "princesses don't wear diapers". Haa haa wow how cute! She understands the concept, now the goal is to get her to actually do it. For the last few days we've been trying to potty train her, all while making sure Joseph doesn't find the potty and dump it over, which he's done a couple times already (luckily there's wasn't anything in it).

Yesterday she agreed to wear her "big girl panties" and she looks so cute in them. It's kind of cute/sad to see how fast she's growing. Any way, we got her a bunch of cute undies with mermaids on them. Unfortunately she wet her undies twice :( It was almost bedtime and I was starting to think that she wasn't getting it at all. Then I put her on the potty one last time before bed. After a couple minutes of sitting on the potty she said "poo poo bum Mommy!" and guess what?! She did it! She pooped on the potty!!! She got up and I showed her all of her poo poo in the potty. I think she was kind of freaked out that all that came out of her. After all, she's never really seen her own poop before because I always change her diaper quickly and she's never seen inside a dirty diaper. Any way, I flushed it down the toilet, then made a HUGE deal about Rosie using the potty and gave her some Smarties to reward her for going on the potty like a big girl. Seconds later, you'll never guess what happened (well maybe you CAN guess). She peed on the floor! I just shook my head and cleaned up the mess. Thank goodness for hardwood floors! I keep on telling myself "at least she pooped in the potty. One step at a time." Today she finally went pee in the potty and as I sit here writing this, I have to keep my eye on her and make sure she doesn't have any accidents.

I'm hoping, and praying, that she'll catch on pretty quickly so that I only have 1 baby's diapers to worry about. Come on Rosie!! (she's sitting on her potty right now!)

I'll keep everyone posted!

Me Ka Aloha
- Elisabeth

0 comments: