Planning Joseph's Birthday Party

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Can you believe that it's almost been a year since we welcomed the J-Man into our lives? I remember last time this year, feeling depressed that I was so huge and praying that I wouldn't go past my due date (and of course, I did). Any way, enough about that. I'll post more about Joseph's birth story when I have more time.

So, since I graduated from college in Hospitality and Tourism - Special Event Management, I always feel the need to throw really awesome birthday parties for my kids. Seriously, the older they get, the cooler the parties will be, and I can't wait!!! When I was planning Rosie's party (like 8 months ago or something) I came across some cute ideas for Joseph's party. I decided I was going to do a jungle theme, since he's such a little monkey. Well.... a friend of mine asked me one day "I bet you already have Joseph's party figured out. What are you planning, don't worry, I won't take your idea." So I told her my theme. The next time I saw her she said "so I was thinking, nobody will really notice if we do the same thing, and we're not going to have all the same people at both parties, so I think I'll also do the jungle theme." In my mind I was thinking "what?! seriously?! you're taking my idea?! who does that?!" but instead I said "well ya I guess it doesn't really matter." Obviously I was/still am annoyed that it happened like that. She had her son's party a month ago and did the jungle theme, and I just can't bring myself to do the same thing, even though it was my plan first. I know one things for sure, I'll be keeping my mouth shut in the future!

On to plan B. I'm an event planner after all, I need to learn to roll with the punches. I did some research and came up with a few fun ideas, but decided on an "Undersea Adventure" party. Yes, I am aware that Joseph is only turning one and probably won't remember/care what I do. Heck I could make it a poopie diaper theme and he'd be just as happy, but a few older children will be there who WILL care, and I'll be there and I care, so Undersea Adventure it is.

Here's some of the ideas I have so far...
1. Gold Fish Crackers as a snack (maybe served in a fish bowl?)
2. Dollar store bubbles for the kids to play with
3. Swedish fish candies in the goodie bags.
3. Sea shells, star fish, and sand center pieces
4. Puppet show "The Rainbow Fish"put on by HeeGlee Productions (thanks Mom!)
5. Undersea music (for children and adults) playing.
6. Fish shaped cookies and sandwiches
7. Cake that looks like there's fish jumping and shark fins sticking out
8. Pearl colored balloons hung at random from fishing line to resemble bubbles.
9. Green streamers hung to resemble seaweed
10. Octopus cupcakes (gummie worm legs)

Well, I hope it turns out the way I envision it. I always have these great ideas in my head, but I have the hardest time explaining them. Wish me luck!

- Elisabeth

0 comments: